Powered by Blogger.

Tuesday, May 12, 2015

WHEN YOU'RE YOUNG, YOU'RE NOT INVINCIBLE.....

My nephews ( Manang Petty's kids) and some of their friends participated in a basketball game during the town fiesta in their area. But the heat of this particular summer really zaps my energy so I decided to stay put at HQ rather than watch my nephews play. A little bird actually mentioned that my nephews were behind by a big margin in the game anyway so I guess I have been proven right. Who wants to watch and support a losing team? Lol! My apologies to my nephews but I don't want to watch them when they suck at basketball.

It was night time and the boys have not arrived yet. Right after dinner, I heard Manang Petty answer her phone. I did not know who was on the other line but I heard her voice.

"Si Lorraine? Naatake? Saan na sya ngayon? Paano nangyari yun?" The conversation continued but it made me think about the person involved, Lorraine.

Lorraine was the daughter of another cousin of ours, Manong Danny. I didn't really know personally this niece of mine that much since I am not based at Sta. Lucia. And if ever I do come over for a short visit, I don't go out of the house that much. Manang Petts told me that Lorraine grew up being close to her children. From childhood playmates to future drinking buddies, those kids were tight. So we were surprised to hear the news that she suffered a heart attack and her next of kin, given the dreaded "The TALK" by doctors at the Philippine Heart Center.

I know what "The TALK" is. Whenever doctors give "The TALK" to family members of a patient with poor prognosis, a nurse must always be present to witness such conversations. And I have been a witness to such conversations numerous times. Doctors explain to a patient's relatives in simple language what exactly happened to their loved one, any possible treatment modalities and the chances of survival. So "The TALK" helps to prepare the kin for any worst case scenario, particularly death. And why is it important? Because it enables the medical staff to proceed with their duties according to what the patient or the family wishes after knowing of the possible outcome.

On April 30, 2015, we received the news from Manila that Lorraine passed away at the age of 30. How unfortunate that I have to meet some relatives whom I haven't seen for a long time in such untimely fashion. Reunions are celebrated with joy normally but not this one. Instead, it was for commiseration and comfort.

The saddest thing about her death is its sudden turnout. It didn't surprise me though, I know that when the heart is involve, time is of the essence. I have never taken care of a patient who underwent post coronary angioplasty at the young age of 30. Neither have I known of cases of heart attacks in a young female like her. I mean it is possible but I didn't expect it to happen to someone related to me. May her death serve as a lesson to the youth. BEING YOUNG DOES NOT MEAN ONE IS INVINCIBLE. I can only surmise how painful this experience is to her mother, Manang Connie. To witness losing your only child when it should be the other way around, according to the laws of nature. She spoke about how she was able to converse to her daughter and just be with her the night before her death when we attended the final night of the wake prior to internment the next day.

I could have chosen to stay in Sta. Lucia and not attend the wake and funeral. But I recalled the days of my youth, of hanging out in front of the big abandoned garage as we read comics, of playing basketball at the town plaza basketball court at 12 high noon every summer, of wearing only slippers or even going barefoot as we ran up and down the court, of playing makeshift Basque pelota (jai a lai) with rectangular plastic motor oil bottles cut across one corner to its diagonal corner as cestas and a tennis ball and heck, even boxing matches with the use of boxing gloves! They were a part of that. I didn't hesitate, so I  joined the trip back to Manila. Besides, being the cheapskate that I am, I can't refuse a free ride! c",)

May 5, 2015 came and it was the day that Lorraine was laid to rest at Loyola Marikina. The last time I was here was I think 30 plus years ago, when Uncle Tante was laid to rest one rainy morning. I still remember that day, how difficult it was to reach this location before since the earth was wet, the roads unpaved yet and the distance that we had to travel from Sampaloc in Manila felt like eternity. Now. it just seems like a stone's throw away from Gateway Mall. A special shout out to the cab driver who patiently drove his cab that I was in inside the compound of Loyola as I searched for the burial site since I had to go directly to the park. I missed their departure from the funeral home. I am so pleased that there are still cab drivers worthy of the public's trust. And a big thank you too to Manang Petty who updated me of their real time whereabouts as I tried to catch up with them and Manong Andy who drove the van passed the cab that enabled me to find them in the park.c",)

Rest in peace, Lorraine. Your time here amongst the living may be fleeting. but you have brought immense joy to those you love.....


0 comments:

  © Free Blogger Templates 'Photoblog II' by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP