Powered by Blogger.

Monday, May 25, 2015

ART IN THE CITY.....

Inspecting The Display.....

Guess! How Much?

Amazing Brushstrokes.....
Calligraphy, Anyone?
Almost Done.....
A few days ago, I went to the Padre Pio chapel in Libis, Quezon City to hear mass since it was the 23rd, a day when healing masses are offered monthly. A friend invited me to meet up at that location afterwards also as he had to attend a meeting of Lego enthusiasts. We initially planned to go somewhere else to shoot after meeting up (Antipolo was the first place that came to mind) but because of the heat, decided to just stroll Eastwood Mall.

It has been ages since I last visited the place. It is quite far from where I live that is why I rarely set foot on this area of the metropolis. My friend is a bricks (all things Lego) collector and I was amused when he saw a store selling alternative bricks (bricks not named "Lego"). He found some pieces that he liked and bought it. The next stop was to search for computer stores that sell printers.

I saw an advert about an ongoing art exhibit posted beside the store where he brought his bricks and reminded him that we should check it out as with strolled leisurely around the mall.The surprising thing about this exercise is how we seemed to enjoy ourselves. Perhaps it is because only a few people can be seen walking around the mall too.

Part of the reason why I got into photography is because I am not good in drawing. I had a good art teacher when I was in sixth grade but once I graduated, I wasn't able to take up any formal lessons in sketching/drawing afterwards. The principles are the same, anyway. A still life painting is actually a study of lighting and form. It is the same with photography which is all about shape and texture, of light and shadow. A painted portrait is a character study of a subject which is also the same with photography. To appreciate other mediums of art broadens one's photography instincts. It helps me to hone my craft without clicking the shutter. So art exhibits are a must see for me.

We finally exited the mall and found the green space where the art exhibit was held. And we found interesting pieces of art, from paintings, to wire sculptures, to doodles and calligraphy. There were ongoing group painting and drawing sessions too. I do admit that I felt a tinge of envy, of wishing that I could do something with art brushes, paints, oils and canvas. My friend and I discussed that modern technology has lessened the value of a photograph, that while it took us long hours to master photography during the years when film reigned supreme, it is now an everyday past time where a photography novice takes a selfie. We discussed just how can photography be elevated back to a medium that involves skill. I do agree though for as long as the everyday phone/tablet shooter is still unable to take a picture of a back lighted subject resulting to an underexposed subject (totally black sometimes) and perfectly exposed background, there is hope for us skilled photographers! c",)

As the sun started to set, more people filled the space, with call center agents and condo residents who walked their dogs mingling within. But my friend and I decided to call it a night as tiredness slowly began to crept in our bones,

I wasn't able to take photos of the Padre Pio chapel though. That will be for another time.


0 comments:

  © Free Blogger Templates 'Photoblog II' by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP