Powered by Blogger.

Friday, May 6, 2011

BACK FROM THE US OF A.....

Charles With Wife Rose And Sister Tintin.....


Photobucket


Photobucket



It is quite odd to meet some of my relatives from my maternal lineage who I have not seen in a long time. For one thing, there is this apprehension that time and distance have somehow conspired to allow the minds of these rather young people to forget.

Such was the feeling when I asked one of my older cousins, Manang Ella about her kids, who happened to be in the country at the moment. Manang Ella and her husband Manong Eric migrated to the US sometime around the 1990's. They were able to take their two younger kids, Tintin (who was just a toddler then) and Amang (who was only a cute little baby then). Their eldest child, Charles, was the one who got left behind a bit due to over age but was able to follow soon with the rest of the clan.

My cousin was one of those next of kin who briefly stayed with us, as they needed a place to stay when they went to Manila for their college education during my childhood since my parents were the ones who were based in Manila during the early 1970's. Sure, my Aunts Veron and Trining and her kids, Manang Jeanette, Manang Verna and Manang Vicki are around but they are different, being Manila born and raised here just like the brothers and I. Imagine the age difference between Manang Ella and I! c",)

Slowly, Manang Ella and others who followed her path, became our circle of relatives who became Manila based. Even when she found a job, she and her sister (the late Manang Dida) would come to our small place in Sampaloc and spend a weekend with my family. At times, my mother and I would visit their office in Vito Cruz since their office was the one responsible for making the checks for the salaries of public school teachers which was my mom's occupation. Other times, my mother and I were the ones who visited their respective homes.

Fast forward to the present. I'm going to meet people that I have not seen since the day Manang Dida died. Some I have not met ever in my lifetime. So it was such a pleasure to see Charles and the rest of his family, the mother of his children Rose and the kids themselves. The eldest Charo was just an infant being held by her mom when I last saw her. And now they have two other kids that I basically do not know. Charles' only sister, Tintin was only seven years old, if I recall correctly, when she migrated to the US. Today she also is married and has kids of her own.

I talked to Tintin via sms and we agreed to meet at SM North Edsa. Imagine my relief when Charles was the one who saw me first! He! He! He! This man-child ( I say this with fondness as he doesn't look his age) nephew of mine still looks the same. If he gets rid of his beer belly then one can mistake him for a young lad. My image of Tintin, that of a seven year old little girl was replaced by an adult version instantly. And Charo? She has her dad's genes.

I handed Charles the package that I asked that be delivered to my mother when they go back to the States. Seeing him all grown up and with his family made me laugh quite a bit. They look like a group of friends hanging out. Too bad Amang did not join them for this trip. Meeting this nephew of mine would be awesome as I heard he is into photography just like her smart and clever aunt! c",)

0 comments:

  © Free Blogger Templates 'Photoblog II' by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP